Revised/Updated: April 9, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Effective: Monday, March 16, 2020
For the Municipality of Thames Centre, the health and well being of our community is our primary concern. In order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, the the Municipality of Thames Centre and facilities will be closed until further notice. This includes but is not limited to: the Municipal Office, FlightExec Centre, Dorchester Lion's Senior Centre, Landfill and all recreational programming.
- At 1:00 pm Tuesday March 17th, 2020 the Municipality of Thames Centre declared State of Emergency.
- We will continue to monitor the situation closely and communicate any changes as they occur.
Municipal Services Update
For more information on each service, please click on the title.
Municipal Office: Closed
- The municipal office is closed to the public at noon on Monday, March 16th through to May 4, 2020 or until further notice
- Municipal office staff are working remotely, using technology to continue to provide services at this time. If something is of urgent nature, please contact the main office at 519-268-7334 or email@example.com
We appreciate the cooperation and patience in the day-to-day changes of COVID-19. Our inspectors are continuing to work with the builders and contractors due to the importance of on-going work in our community. We will be open to the following inspections: Basework Plumbing, R.I. Plumbing, Excavation and Footings, Water and Sewer, Backfill, Framing (of new construction), Insulation and Vapor Barrier, and Occupancy (of new construction). No one else is to be on site during inspection and the residential unit is to be in a completely clean state. ALL inspections must be through email (firstname.lastname@example.org), approved, and booked by providing a call-back number to confirm. Secondary measures such as engineer inspection approval or pictures of site work are NOT accepted. To continue work, the inspector will leave a sticker on-site issuing a pass (green) or fail (orange).
In accordance to applying for a building permit:
All permit applications will be accepted and reviewed by our CBO – please be patient as response times may be longer than 2 weeks. Applications will be accepted through the drop box located at the front of our office at 4305 Hamilton Road in Dorchester (please fill out all contact information fields legibly and two copies of plans). Once review has been completed, the applicant will be notified and sent a fee summary page with the permit. Applicant must attach a cheque with the total fee amount to the permit and fee summary page, return all of the above to our drop box in an envelope labelled ATTN: Building Department. The applicant will be notified via email confirming the issuance of the permit and all applicable documents. If you have any questions please reach out, we are monitoring our emails daily.
Building Department Inquiry Contact Information:
Chief Building Official – Aaron Stewardson – email@example.com
Building Inspector and Bylaw Enforcement Officer – Mauro Castrilli – firstname.lastname@example.org
GIS Technician/ Building Administration – Amanda Storrey – email@example.com
Clerk Services: Licensing (unavailable)
The services of the Municipal Clerk, including marriage licencing, commissioning of oaths and lottery licencing, are not available at this time.
Council and Committee Meetings: CANCELLED
- Council Meeting - Monday, March 30 at 1:00 pm - Special Meeting - Electronically https://tc-egenda.middlesex.ca/files/agendas/800118/
- Council Meeting - Monday April 6th and Monday, April 20th - CANCELLED
- All Committee Meetings are cancelled until May or until further notice
Dorchester Union Cemetery: Open
- The cemetery is considered an essential service and is still open for interments
- Non-urgent services will not be offered (ie. purchasing of plots, niches, etc. for non-urgent needs)
- Please call 519-268-7334 ext. 227 or email Tammy Butt to discuss your urgent need
FlightExec Centre: CLOSED
- The FlightExec Centre is CLOSED
- All recreational programming is cancelled
Garbage and Recycling Curbside Collection
- Thames Centre is now on a weekly garbage and recycling collection schedule
- Your collection day remains the same
- During the period of Emergency Declaration, each home may place ONE garbage bag at the curb WITHOUT a bag tag
- Garbage and Recycling Collection During COVID-19
- As the office is closed, we cannot accept in-person payments. However, there are a number of options for paying your bills, including dropping off a cheque in the deposit box at the municipal office, and paying online through your financial institutions.
- For future bills, consider signing-up for pre-authorized payments
- All billings with due dates during the time the municipal office is closed will be deferred to the end of the month following the opening of the municipal office to the public
- Penalties and interest charges that would have been charged between March 16th and the end of the month following the reopening of the municipal office to the public will be cancelled
- Municipal tenants rents will be reversed from Mar 15-31st and cancelled until such time the municipal buildings are open to the public
- Water disconnect procedures will be deferred until the end of the month following the reopening of the municipal office
- Payments under tax and/or water/wastewater under the pre-authorized plan that are returned NSF will not be charged the $35 service charge or any penalties if processed while the municipal office is closed
- If you have any questions about your bills, contact our water billing department.
Landfill: OPEN with Special Operations
- The landfill is open with Special COVID-19 Operations
- Only accepting construction wood/wood material and yard waste
- Contractors will be invoiced (no cash accepted) and yard waste is a free service
Parks: Open with Restrictions
Based on the recommendation of public health officials, Thames Centre parks are open, however all playgrounds are CLOSED.
We encourage everyone to practice common sense:
- Please don't visit our parks if you or your children are unwell.
- Please don't congregate in groups or let your children gather in groups.
- Please follow the advice regarding physical distancing, and stay 6 feet away from others:
Government of Ontario: Everyone in Ontario should do their best to avoid close contact with people outside of their immediate families. Close contact includes being within two (2) meters of another person.
- If you are concerned about people not respecting physical distancing rules at local parks, do not call 911. The number to contact the OPP for incidents that are non-urgent is 1-888-310-1122.
- The Mill Pond is open, HOWEVER, there are directional signs posted, indicating which way residents should be walking; clockwise.
- Local conservation areas may be closed and/or have reduced hours, etc. Please check with the respective conservation authority for updates before you head out.
- Based on the recommendation of public health officials, Thames Centre playgrounds are CLOSED.
- This includes skateparks, ball diamonds, soccer fields, outdoor hockey rinks and hard surface courts like tennis, picketbll and basketball courts.
- If you are concerned about residents/people not respecting physical distancing rules at playground and sports fields, DO NOT call 911. The number to contact the OPP for incidents that are non-urgent is 1-888-310-1122.
Senior Centre: Closed/Programs Cancelled
All programs are cancelled until further notice.
Thames Centre Events: Postponed
The following events have been postponed, with new dates to be determined.
- Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast
- Sports Wall of Fame Ceremony are postponed
Thorndale Community Centre Demolition
Are You Wondering if Your Buisness is Considered an Essential Service?
Businesses who have questions about closures of at-risk workplaces or how emergency measures impact their business or employment can call the Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659
Help is available from Monday to Sunday, from 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Association of Municipalities Ontario
Dorchester Food Bank – OPEN: By appointment only on a monthly basis. (122 Queens St., Dorchester, 519 268 7872)
The following are providing regular updates related to COVID-19:
Ontario Energy Board
It was recently announced that, to support Ontarians through the rapidly evolving COVID-19 situation, the Government of Ontario issued an Emergency Order under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act. Starting on March 24, 2020, residential and small business customers and farms on time-of-use (TOU) pricing under the OEB’s Regulated Price Plan (RPP) pay 10.1 ¢/kWh no matter what time of day the electricity is consumed.
Energy Board Pricing
Thames Valley District School Board