Municipal Elections


The next municipal election will be held Monday, October 24, 2022.

Municipal elections in Ontario are held every four years and are governed by the Municipal Elections Act. The new term of Council begins on November 15, 2022.

The 2022 Municipal Election is being held for the following offices in Thames Centre:

  • Mayor (1) – elected at large
  • Deputy Mayor (1) – elected at large
  • Ward Councillors (3) – 1 elected per ward

In addition, voters will elect school board trustees based on the school board they support.

Notice of Nomination for Office - Municipal Election


Unofficial List of Candidates - Council

Please check back for updates as the election approaches. Note that the below candidates are currently not certified. The Municipal Clerk will review nominations for certification following August 19, 2022 at 2 p.m.


Kelly Elliott 519-461-1766
Sharron McMillan 519-671-0847


Paul Hunter 519-281-8475


Tom Heeman 519-871-3150


Tayler Reiners 519-550-5017
Sheryl Chanyi 519-403-6340
Danielle Lockie 519-268-1656


Chantel Crockett


Unofficial List of Candidates - School Board

Please check back for updates as the election approaches. Note that the below candidates are currently not certified. The Municipal Clerk will review nominations for certification following August 19, 2022 at 2 p.m.


  • Thames Valley District School Board (TVDSB) – English Public (2 to be elected)
  • London and District Separate School Board (LDCSB) – English Separate (1 to be elected)
  • Conseil Scolaire Viamonde – French Public (1 to be elected)
  • Conseil Scolaire Catholique Providence – French Catholic (1 to be elected)
Arlene Morell Trustee, TVDSB Strathroy 519-619-4524
Christian Saches Trustee, TVDSB Granton 519-772-1069
Josh Lamb Trustee, LDCSB Strathroy 519-868-4174
General Information

When is the 2022 Municipal Election?

The 2022 Municipal Election will be held on Monday, October 24, 2022.

When is the Nomination Period?

The Nomination Period is from the first business day of May in 2022 to Thursday, August 18, 2022 during regular office hours, and between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Friday, August 19, 2022 (Nomination Day).

Candidates are encouraged to make an appointment with the Clerk’s office to file nomination papers.

How can I vote in the 2022 Municipal Election?

•  By internet and telephone.
•  A Voter Help Centre will be available at the Municipal Office during the Voting Period.

When is the Voting Period?

The Voting Period is October 17, 2022 to October 24, 2022.

Offices to be Elected

The 2022 Municipal Election is being held for the following offices in Thames Centre:

  • Mayor - 1 to be elected - At Large
  • Deputy Mayor - 1 to be elected - At Large
  • Councillor - 1 to be elected in each of Wards 1, 2 and 3

In addition, voters will elect school board trustees based on the school board they support.

Am I on the List?

If you are a resident, owner or tenant of property in Ontario, a Canadian citizen, and 18 years of age you can vote in Ontario’s municipal and school board elections.  

By logging on to, eligible electors can:

  confirm or update their electoral information
 add an elector name to an address, and
 change school support.

You can also call the Voter Lookup Contact Centre at 1-866-296-6722.

The Voter LookUp site is owned and managed by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC), responsible for identifying all potential municipal, school board and District Social Services Administration Board electors.

Which Ward am I in?

Please see below 2022 Electoral Ward Map which shows the boundary lines of the 3 wards within Thames Centre. 

You can also click here to use our interactive map that will help you easily determine your ward. 

Should you need any assistance, please contact Sara Henshaw, Deputy Clerk

Thames Centre - Ward Map
Important Dates for the 2022 Election

Nomination Period for Candidates:

May 2, 2022 to August 18, 2022 (8:30am to 4:30pm Mon-Fri, excl. holidays); and

Nomination Day: Friday, August 19, 2022 (9:00am to 2:00pm)
*Nomination packages will be made available in early 2022*

Third Party Advertising Registration Period:

May 2, 2022 to October 21, 2022 (8:30am to 4:30pm)
*Third Party packages will be made available in early 2022*

Preliminary List of Electors Released to the Public:

September 1, 2022

Voting Period for Electors:

Monday, October 17, 2022 at 9:00am to Monday, October 24, 2022 at 8:00pm

Term of New Council:

November 15, 2022 to November 14, 2026

Ending of Campaigns:

  Last date for any candidate and third party campaigning: January 3, 2023
 Candidate and Third Party Financial Reporting Deadline: March 31, 2023 at 2:00pm
 Late Candidate and Third Party Financial Reporting (subject to $500 late filing fee): May 1, 2023 at 2:00pm

Voter Information

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing - 2022 Voters' Guide - Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections


Who Can Vote?

A person is entitled to vote in a municipal election if they are a qualified elector.

This means, on voting day, you must be:

•  a resident of the Municipality of Thames Centre, or an owner or tenant of land in the Municipality, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
•  a Canadian citizen;
•  at least 18 years old; and
•  not prohibited from voting by law.

Visit to see if you are on the voter's list.

Who Cannot Vote?

•  Serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution; or
•  A corporation; or
•  Acting as executor or trustee or in another representative capacity, except as a voting proxy; or
•  Convicted of a corrupt practice described in Section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996

What do I need as Voter Identification to provide in order to receive a ballot?

•  All electors must show proof of name and qualifying address.
•  Two pieces of identification are required.
•  Only 1 item is required to be original – other piece may be a certified or notarial copy.
•  Each piece of ID must show the person’s name and the qualifying address.
•  It does not need to be photo identification.
•  Electors who cannot present an acceptable proof of identity may make a statutory declaration by filling out a Declaration of Identity Form

What is considered acceptable identification?

Many types of documents can be used to show a person’s name and address. For further information, please see: Municipal Elections Act, O. Reg. 304/13

Where and how are the Voter's Lists provided?

The Voters’ List will be available to candidates on September 1, 2022. On the written request of a certified candidate for an office, the clerk shall provide him or her with the part of the Voters’ List that contains the names of the electors who are entitled to vote for that office.

Candidate Information

Any individual looking to run for Municipal Office must be considered an eligible candidate and complete the prescribed nomination procedures outlined below. The Elections Candidate Guide 2022 will be released early Spring 2022, please monitor this page for more details.

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing -

2022 Candidates' Guide

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing - Candidate and Third-Party Advertiser Information


Video Recording

Candidate Eligibility

•  Resident of the Municipality of Thames Centre, or an owner or tenant of land in the Municipality of Thames Centre, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
•  a Canadian citizen;
•  at least 18 years old; and
•  not legally prohibited from voting.

The following people are disqualified from being elected as a Member of Council, or from holding office as a Member of Council:

•  an employee of the municipality unless they take an unpaid leave of absence beginning the day they are nominated and resign if elected to the office.
•  a judge of any court.
•  a member of the Provincial Legislature, the Federal House of Commons or Senate who has not resigned from their office by the close of nominations. Proof of resignation must be provided by the close of nominations for the Clerk to certify the nomination.
•  a candidate who failed to file the necessary financial statement(s) in the last municipal election or by-election

What is the first day candidates can file their nomination paper?

•  Monday, May 2, 2022
•  For candidates who are running for School Board Trustee offices, information will be available at a future date.


  • A potential candidate must file nomination papers prior to receiving any campaign contributions and/or expending any funds on a campaign.
  • Nomination papers will be available online or from the Clerks Department.
  • The nomination of a person for an office on Council must be endorsed by at least 25 persons and those endorsing the nomination must be eligible to vote in an election for an office within the Municipality if a regular election was held on the day that the person endorses the nomination. 

When filing, you must submit the following: 

Nomination Papers – Form 1 (Nomination Paper) and Form 2 (Endorsement)
Declaration of Qualifications
Filing Fee
Consent to Release Information
Candidate’s Declaration

Please refer to the 2022 Election Nomination Procedures for more information.

Proof of Endorsement - Form 2

• Candidates must supply proof of endorsement from 25 electors at the time of submitting their nominations to be a candidate in the election.
•  Endorsements of a nomination must still be collected as original signatures and a person who files a nomination that must be endorsed shall retain the copy of the document bearing the original endorsement signatures, if endorsements filed electronically.

When will nomination papers be made available?

Nomination papers will be made available in early Spring 2022 (online and at the Municipal Office)

When is the last day a candidate can file their nomination paper?

Friday, August 19, 2022 at 2 p.m.

How do I file nomination papers?

•  All nominations forms must be filed in-person by appointment at the Municipal Office located at 4305 Hamilton Road.
•  Candidates will be required to pay the nomination fee, provide identification, and swear an oath at our office.

Is it possible to file nomination electronically?

•  No, you must file your nomination papers in-person at the Municipal Office.
•  If required, additional information may be submitted electronically at the request of the Clerk’s office.

How do I withdraw my nomination?

•  The Election’s Office has a Notice of Withdrawal form that is required to be completed and submitted.
•  This form must be submitted before the close of nominations on August 19, 2022 at 2 p.m.

How do I know if I am disqualified from holding office?

•  It is the responsibility of each candidate to ensure they are qualified to seek the office for which they are being nominated.
•  If you are unsure, seek legal advice immediately.
•  You will also be required to swear an oath of qualification when filing your nomination.

Are qualifications only at the time of the nomination or throughout the election?

•  You must be eligible to run for office at the time of nomination and throughout the election.
•  If you are elected, you must maintain your eligibility during your time in office.

How do I determine which name goes on the ballot? 

•  When you file your nomination papers there will be a section for you to write down your name as you want it to appear on the ballot.
•  If you normally go by a different name than your legal first name, you may use that name, with approval of the Clerk.
•  You do not have to provide all of your names under Given Name(s) on the form - only provide the one(s) that you want to appear on the ballot.

I filed my nomination papers; can I assume my name will appear on the ballot?

•  No. The Clerk is required to certify each nomination after it has been filed and before the close of nominations. The Clerk will verify the candidate’s name is on the Voters’ List and therefore an eligible elector.
•  ​It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they meet all the qualifications and file proper nomination papers. Each candidate should contact the Municipal Office to ensure that their forms are in order. Since the Clerk may examine the nominations papers after the nomination period ends and may reject them, a candidate may find that their papers have been rejected and are too late to file additional information or provide proof to the Clerk of their qualifications.  The Clerk will review with Candidate (reason for the appointment) and will review a second time after nomination period ends to certify as required by the Act.

Additional Nominations

•  If there are positions that no candidates have run for or positions that are still vacant after the candidates who did run have been acclaimed, the Clerk will call for additional nominations.
•  Additional nominations for the remaining vacant seats must be filed between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Wednesday, August 24, 2022. The Clerk must either certify or reject each nomination by 4 p.m. on Thursday, August 25, 2022.

Are there limitations on entering apartment buildings after submitting nomination papers?

•  Campaign provisions have been clarified to allow candidates to access apartment buildings, condominiums, non-profit housing co-ops or gated communities from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. in order to campaign.
•  Landlords and condominium corporations will not be allowed to prohibit tenants or owners from displaying campaign signs in their windows.
•  The legislation regarding the rights of candidates to enter apartment buildings, condominiums and non-profits for the purposes of canvassing can also be found in the Condominium Act, 1998, S.O. 1998, Chapter 19Residential Tenancies Act , 2006, S.O. 2006, Chapter 17 and Co-operative Corporations Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter C.35

When can I start campaigning?

You can only start campaigning after you file your nomination papers.

When can I put up signs?

Please review the Election Sign Information

How does a candidate choose which ward to run in? Do you have to live in the ward you are running in?

A candidate can run for office in the ward of their choice. You do not have to live in the same ward you are running in. However, you do have to vote from the address at which you reside. For example, you live in Ward 2, but are running in Ward 1. You have to vote in Ward 2.

If I lease a commercial retail property in my name, and not a company name, am I eligible to be a candidate? 

No, you must own the property in order to be eligible.

How do candidates prove the Voters' List has been destroyed after the Election?

Candidates will sign a declaration swearing that you will destroy the Voters’ List in an acceptable manner.

Third Party Advertising

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing -

2022 Third Party Advertisers' Guide

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing - Candidate and Third-Party Advertiser Information


Video Recording

What is a Third Party Advertisement?

•  A Third Party Advertisement refers to an advertisement in any broadcast, print, electronic or other medium that promotes, supports or opposes a candidate in the election, or, a "yes" or "no" answer to a question on the ballot.
•  Participates in the election by running a campaign the same way a candidate would.
•  Ontario residents, corporations and trade unions that will incur expenses for such advertisements must register as a third party advertiser with the Municipal Clerk before they can begin advertising.
•  Third Party Advertising does not include issues-based advertising so groups that do public outreach can continue their issued-based advocacy work throughout the municipal election period.
•  Advertising that does not cost money to post or broadcast, such as comments made on social media, will not be considered Third Party Advertising.

What is the timeframe for Third Party Advertisers to register?

•  Third Party Advertisers must register with the Clerk between May 2, 2022 and October 21, 2022.
•  Additional information regarding the registration process and requirements will be available in early 2022.

Who can register as a Third Party Advertiser?

Only the following persons and entities are eligible to file a notice of registration:

•  An individual who is normally a resident in Ontario.
•  A corporation that carries on business in Ontario.
•  A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.

Who cannot register as a Third Party Advertiser?

Persons and entities that are not eligible to file a notice of registration include:

•  A candidate whose nomination has been filed under Section 33 of the Municipal Elections Act.
•  A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act (Canada) or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party.
•  A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act.
•  The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board.

Please see Notice of Registration - Third Party - Form 7

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the definition of a residence?

In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 – a person’s residence is “the permanent lodging place to which, whenever absent, he or she intends to return”.

The following rules apply in determining a person’s residence:

•  A person may only have one residence at a time.
•  The place where a person’s family resides is also his or her residence, unless person moves elsewhere with the intention of changing their permanent lodging place.
•  If a person has no other permanent lodging place, the place where he or she occupies a room or part of a room as a regular lodger or to which he or she habitually returns. The onus is on the elector to determine this location.

Are students able to vote in municipality where they live, as well as where they attend school?

If you are a student and consider your "home" to be the place where you live when you are not attending school, which means you plan on returning there, then you are eligible to vote in both your "home" municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.

Can any other eligible voters vote twice?

•  Students are the ONLY eligible voters who can vote twice.
•  Seasonal dwellings (such as a cottage) – if you own property in multiple municipalities, you and your spouse can each vote in each municipality where you own land.
•  If you own multiple properties within Thames Centre, you can still only vote once.
•  School Board Trustee vote is tied to your residence.

Only resident electors can vote in school board elections? How does this apply to students?

It’s tied to your residence – you vote for your trustee based on where you live, not where you attend school.

Does leasing a spot in seasonal campground qualify as owning land?

•  Trailer owners in campground are considered tenants.
•  You have to provide evidence that you resided there for at least 6 weeks in the calendar year of the election.
•  This 6-week period does not have to be consecutive.
•  This also applies to timeshares and seasonal trailer park residences with year-to-year spots.

Am I able to vote if I have a non-residential rental? (such as a storage space, etc.)

•  You are ineligible to vote, since you are not considered a tenant.
•  If you are a sole proprietor and own that property, then as a commercial property owner you can vote, as long as you are not a corporation, as corporations cannot vote

Do business owners count as a resident for eligibility purposes?

•  Business owners are considered tenants if they don’t own the property.
•  You have to own property in the municipality to be eligible to vote.
•  If the business owner does not own property in the municipality, they can only vote where they reside.
•  If you own a business property and a separate residential property in the same municipality, you can only vote once.
•  If you are leasing a property to run a business, in a ward separate from where you live, you cannot vote in that ward.

If a business or corporation owns vacant land, and the business owner leases the property to themselves to be considered as a tenant, but their primary residence is not in the municipality, would they be eligible to vote as a non-resident elector?

•  No, the land is owned by a corporation, not an individual.
•  The business owner is eligible to vote wherever they primarily reside.

If a farmer does not reside in the municipality, but owns farm land there, are they eligible to vote? Is this different if farm property is in name of owner vs. business name?

•  If you own property as an individual, you and your spouse may vote.
•  If property is in name of numbered company, corporation, etc. you may not vote.

If I purchased a new home prior to the day of the election, am I able to be added to the voter’s list?


I do not live in municipality but own residential rental property in my name, am I eligible to vote?

•  Yes, you are eligible to vote, as you are considered a non-resident elector.
•  You can only vote once, even if you own more than one residential rental property within Thames Centre.

How do I find out how many people are running in a ward?

The Municipality of Thames Centre will post the names of candidates online, once they have been approved and certified by the Clerk.

Accessible Elections - We want to hear from you!

We welcome your feedback as to how we may improve accessibility for our voters and candidates with disabilities.

The Municipality of Thames Centre has an Accessibility Policy in place.  The 2022 Municipal Election for Thames Centre will be conducted with having regard to the policies as established.

The internet/telephone voting methods provides accessibility as an elector is able to access the voting system from home or from virtually anywhere in the world, through the use of a personal computer, mobile phone or tablet.

The Voter Help Centre will be accessible to electors and candidates with disabilities.

Election Officials will be available for assistance at the Voter Help Centre during the voting period.

2022 Municipal Election Accessibility Plan

Accessibility Feedback Form

Please check back as we anticipate updates closer to the election.

2018 - Candidate Financial Statements


Jennifer Coghlin
Kelly Elliott
Tom Heeman
Paul Hunter
Edmund Lee
Marcel Meyer
Chris Patterson
Alison Warwick
Walter Wisotzki



For Questions Contact: